Schedule

From 9 April to 10 June 2017

   
Program A: Angera e Re
pdf logo
   
Program B: Re e Locarno
pdf logo
   
pdf logo
   

Schedule

From 11 June to 30 September 2017

   
Program A: Angera e Re
pdf logo
   
Program B: Re e Locarno
pdf logo
   
pdf logo
   


‘On 27 June 1657 a miracle took place. Blood wept from the forehead of the statue of the Virgin Mary on the wall to one side of the door to Casa Berna. As was customary, several maidens of Angera had made garlands of flowers for the statue. One woman who often passed before the statue, and would kneel before the divine image and say a Hail Mary, saw blood and still more blood wept from her face. The woman, overawed, proclaimed it a miracle. Giorgio Castiglioni, the parish priest, intervened and dried the miraculous blood with a white linen cloth.’ (From the Record of Baptisms, Deaths, Marriages and Confirmations of 1678-1704, entered by the parish priest Aicardo and curate Gatto).

To commemorate the miracle of the Madonna weeping blood and in honour of the martyrdom of Saint Arialdo, every year on 27 June a ceremony is held with a procession of boats from the sanctuary to the Partegora Isle and back. After many accounts of healings subsequent to the initial event, the community decided to erect a sanctuary to celebrate the miraculous image. Today the building forms part of a project launched by Giorgio Castiglioni, the parish priest of Angera, and Count Giovanni Borromeo, who entrusted the work to the architect Gerolamo Quadrio. The choir and presbytery were built in 1667, but the funds needed to finish the church could not be found and so it remained unfinished.

In 1735 the small bell tower was erected on the rear part of the roof. The façade was refurbished in 1943 with a mural composition by the architect Rino Ferrini of Angera, on which the levels the lakes reached during the floods of 4 November 1705 and 4 October 1868 have been marked. Inside, over the altar, you can admire the miraculous fresco of the Madonna and child; the painting dates back to 1443 and was detached from the original wall and transferred to canvas. It suffered some damage in the 1868 flood. The ‘Glory of Angels’ by an anonymous artist, which surrounds the image, is also worthy of note. Behind the altar you will find a seventeenth century Crucifixion, transferred here from the church of Our Lady of the Assumption.

Contatti

SSIF
Domodossola: +39 0324 24 20 55
La Biglietteria Fart
Locarno: +41 091 751 87 31
Navigazione Lago Maggiore
Arona: +39 0322 233 200

from 09/04/17 to 08/10/2017

This excursion allows you to admire the beauty of the most striking Vigezzo Valley and Lake Maggiore with the Borromean Islands. Further information may be obtained at the ticket station SSIF, at the stop for boat of Navigazione Lago Maggiore.